Course this book is used in:
- Math 1: Singapore:
- Homeschool - Option 2
Standards Edition, features of the series:
- Mathematical concepts are introduced in the opening pages and taught to mastery through specific learning tasks that allow for immediate assessment and consolidation.
- The modeling method enables students to visualize and solve mathematical problems quickly and efficiently.
- The Concrete > Pictorial > Abstract approach enables students to encounter math in a meaningful way and translate mathematical skills from the concrete to the abstract.
- The pencil icon provides quick and easy reference from the Textbook to the relevant Workbook pages. The direct correlation of the Workbook to the Textbook facilitates focused review and evaluation.
- New mathematical concepts are introduced throughout a spiral progression that builds on concepts already taught and mastered.
- Meta-cognition is employed as a strategy for learners to monitor their thinking processes in problem solving. Speech and thought bubbles provide guidance through the thought processes, making even the most challenging problems accessible to students.
- The color patch is used to invite active student participation and to facilitate lively discussion about the mathematical concepts taught.
- Reviews in the Workbooks for 1A-1B and regular reviews in the Textbooks and Workbooks for 2A-5B provide consolidation of concepts learned.
- The glossary effectively combines pictorial representation with simple mathematical definitions to provide a comprehensive reference guide for students.
From the Publisher:
Primary Mathematics Standards Edition 1A-5B is ideal for both classroom and home use for 1st - 5th grades. This series is an adaptation of Primary Mathematics U.S. edition, the most popular Singapore Math, primary math series used by schools and homeschoolers in the U.S. and Canada. Each textbook is used in conjunction with a workbook. Also available are optional Extra Practice books and Tests books.
This series is recommended for those who want a solid, basic math program with a proven track record and an emphasis on concept development, mental techniques, and problem solving, along with a program that covers all the California State standards for each grade level. The books include added units on probability and data analysis primarily, as well as negative numbers and coordinate graphs, concepts not covered normally until secondary levels in Singapore and not covered in the Primary Mathematics U.S. Edition.
This series also provides more re-teaching of material from earlier levels and more frequent review and is therefore recommended for students new to Primary Mathematics but not starting at the beginning. This is primarily a direct instruction program. Students are given several approaches for solving problems and are encouraged to discuss ideas and explore additional methods.